Maharshi Dayanand College.
25, Dr. S.S.Rao Road, Mangaldas Verma Chowk, Parel, Mumbai – 400 012.
Established : June, 1962
Affiliated : Mumbai University
Year of Affiliation : 1964
Principal : (Dr.) Mrs. Thankam P. Ghule
Telephone No. Office : 24130012 / 24134541
Fax No. : 24106960
E-mail : email@example.com
Profile of Our College
Late Shri Mangaldas Verma, noted industrial and philanthropist founded the college in 1962. shri verma had a fervent desire to bring Education to the socially and economically challenged sections of society .He established this institution in the heart of the labour area so that opportunities to pursue higher education would be available to them M.D.college of Arts/Science/Commerce Which housed 300 students in 1962, now caters to the needs of over 6000 students. This was vision of our founder - who saw far and beyond.
He named the college after the great reformer and founder of the Arya samaj - "Maharshi Dayanand Saraswati"
The ‘OM’, symbol of the Eternity of the Almighty, remains the logo of the institution till date since its inception, ‘Vasudhev Kutumbkam’ the universal fraternity, its motto and ‘Antyodaya’ the urge to see the up liftment of the marginal man, its mission.
The college started with Arts and Science faculties. It became a grant-in-aid institution from 1970 onwards. In 1980, the faculty of Commerce was added. The UGC recognized it on 9th January, 1989 under clause 2f.
With the introduction of 10 + 2 + 3 pattern of education, Junior College was started in 1977-78 in Arts, Science and Commerce faculties. 1989 saw the introduction of MCVC courses (Four in Jr. College.)
In 2001-02, two additional divisions in Commerce & in 2002-03 one division in Science at the Junior College level were started on non-grant basis.
In 1999-2000, three year B.Sc. degree course in Computer Science, and in 2000-2001 Bachelor of Mass Media (BMM) were started as professional courses on non-grant basis.
The college is a center for post-graduate courses in Chemistry and Zoology by papers and by research. It is also a centre for doctoral research in Kannada, Gujarati, Philosophy, Zoology and Chemistry. Teachers from the Commerce, Zoology, Chemistry, Botany, Gujarati and Marathi departments are recognized Ph.D. guides.
The progress of the college has been possible due to the able guidance and leadership of past Principals Late Shri D.R. Samant, Late Dr. L.D. Mahajan and Late Dr. H.R. Karnik. In the 1990’s Principals Shri G.P. Shrivastava, Dr. B.S. Rawat, Prof. Suresh S. Pandit, Prof. (Ms.) S.S. Master and Prof. (Mrs) J. A. Gupta led the college towards achievements. Over the years, the college vastly benefited from the services of its eminent teachers like late Smt. Shantabai Shelke, leading poetess of Maharashtra, Prof. Keshav Meshram, a Dalit writer and former Head of Marathi department, University of Mumbai. Dr. Kalaben Shah former Head of Gujarati department has made a name in the field of Jain and Gujarati literature. Dr. K.V. Karnad former Head of Kannada department, was honored with membership of the Kannada Sahitya Academy. Dr. V.G. Desai, former Head of Economics department, was on the Board of Directors of Vaishya Bank. Dr. Geeta Mehta, former Head of Philosophy department, is an authority on Gandhian Philosophy, Dr. Gupta former head of Chemistry has guided several Research students.
Several of our alumnae have made a mark in the fields of sports, cinema, academics and theatre. Our students have excelled in Indian Games of kabaddi and khokho. They have received coveted Awards from both the Govt. of Maharashtra and of India, namely the prestigious ‘Dada Konddev Award’ for the coach and the ‘Eklavya Award’& ‘Chhatrapati Award’ for outstanding performance at State level and the ‘Arjuna Award’ at National level.
Our founder, the Late Shri Mangaldas Verma belived in the teachings of Maharshi Dayanand Saraswati. We at M.D. College are therefore attempting to emulate his vision by "Empowering through Education."
1. To provide education to the socially disadvantaged students.
2. To facilitate the pursuit of academic excellence.
3. To harness students' potential for extra-curricular and co-curricular activities.
4. To impart value based education with emphasis on personality development.
5. To foster in students a commitment towards society and the nation.
6. To sensitize students to environmental issues.
Unique Features of the College
1. Air Conditional Library with an open access reading room.
2. Audio Visual Center.
3. Fully equipped computer laboratory.
5. Emphasis on Indian games-Kabaddi & Kho-Kho
6. Computer training center by - MDES.
8. Unaided section of Junior College.
9. Center for learning - communication skills, Public speaking etc.
10. Air Conditioned Auditorium
11. Air Conditioned Conference Center
Organization & Management
The quality, success and relevance of any institution depends on the clarity of objectives and goals of the Management and its sustainability. Our organization is managed by (M.D.E.S.) Maharshi Dayanand Education Society, which is registered under the Societies Act.
The hierarchy in the management of the institution is presented below :-
Mr. Ajai P. Verma
Ms. Kim Verma
Shri Raoul Verma
Mrs. Kawal Verma
(Dr.) Mrs. Thankam P. Ghule
As per the Maharashtra University Act, our institution has a L.M.C. – Local Managing Committee, entrusted with specific function to help in the management of the institution.
Following is the Organization Chart
During these meetings, instructions are given, work is re- viewed and feedback obtained in order to improve work
• Principal believes in team work and participatory decision making, thus functioning in a democratic manner.
• Vice Principals are given the responsibility of decision making for their respective faculty.
• Head of the Department assigns responsibilities to colleagues and meets periodically for academic planning and review.
• The teachers are encouraged to implement innovative techniques of teaching.
• IQAC committee asks for an action plan from various departments/ associations to enhance the quality education.
• The Vice-Principals coordinate and monitor curricular and co-curricular activities.
• The Heads of Departments coordinate with the faculty for effective implementation of academic programmes.
• Convenors of curricular and co-curricular activities coordinate with Vice-Principals and Principals.
• Administrative hierarchies are maintained in day-to-day functioning of the College.